All businesses that store, handle or use hazardous materials in reportable quantities, as defined in Chapter 6.95 of Division 20 of the California Health and Safety Code (HSC), must obtain a CUPA Permit. In addition to obtaining a permit each business is required to submit a Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP). The business plan will assist emergency responders in planning for and handling emergencies involving hazardous materials. The main program objective is to safeguard the lives of emergency responders, the public, and to minimize property loss.

Additional permitting requirements may be needed for Hazardous Waste, Underground Storage Tanks, Above Ground Storage Tanks and CALARP. Specific requirements for those programs can be found on the main page

To apply for a CUPA permit click HERE!


Hazardous materials are defined in California Health and Safety Code section 25501. For most businesses in Los Angeles this will be any material that poses a Health or Physical Hazard. You can determine if your material has a Health or Physical Hazard by referring to Section 2 of your Safety Data Sheet (SDS). 


Reportable thresholds for hazardous materials and defined in California Health and Safety Code section 25507. The thresholds are determined based on the physical state of the material, Solids, Liquids and Gases. Below are the basic thresholds for each physical state.

Solids - 500 POUNDS

Liquids - 55 GALLONS

Gases - 200 CUBIC FEET



NOTE: There are many provisions in HSC 25507 that allow for thresholds to be reduced,  increased, exempted or excluded. Refer to HSC 25507 to determine the reporting threshold for your specific material.