To help City of Los Angeles residents prepare for rainstorm needs, the Los Angeles Fire Department provides free ready-to-fill sandbags at all Neighborhood Fire Stations, with sand* also available for free at sites listed below.
* Sand may be desirable, but local soil can also be used to effectively fill sandbags.
Properly filled and placed sandbags are best used to divert (rather than dam) moving water, redirecting storm and debris flow away from property improvements. Sandbagging and flood control is a labor intensive process that can lead to injury. Please follow important safety guidelines and consider hiring a licensed contractor for any large or special needs.
While LAFD is pleased to provide sand - and up to 25 free sandbags per household, the Department is not able to fill, deliver, install or remove sandbags.
Those who may require additional sand, sandbags and supplies may wish to contact a local home improvement store or building supply center, many of which will deliver flood preparedness and debris control aids directly to where they are needed.
The following locations in the City of Los Angeles now offer free sand (free ready-to-fill sandbags are available at all fire stations):
NOTE: The historic sand depot list below is being actively updated.
- Baldwin Hills / Crenshaw District - Fire Station 94, 4470 Coliseum Street
- Bel Air / Beverly Glen (south) - Fire Station 71, 107 South Beverly Glen Boulevard
- Beverly Glen (north) - Fire Station 99, 14145 Mulholland Drive
- Boyle Heights - Council District 14 Office, 2130 East 1st Street
- Brentwood - Fire Station 19, 12229 West Sunset Boulevard
- Civic Center / Downtown - Fire Station 3, 108 North Fremont Avenue
- Cypress Park - Fire Station 44, 1410 Cypress Avenue
- Eagle Rock - Council District 14 Office, 2035 Colorado Boulevard (back corner of parking lot)
- El Sereno - across the street from Fire Station 47, 4575 Huntington Dr South
- Encino Hills - Fire Station 109, 16500 Mulholland Drive
- Franklin Canyon - Fire Station 108, 12520 Mulholland Drive
- Granada Hills - Knollwood Country Club, 12040 Balboa Boulevard (parking lot south of Fire Station 18)
- Hancock Park - Fire Station 29, 4029 West Wilshire Boulevard
- Harbor City - Harbor City Recreation Center, 24801 Frampton Avenue
- Harbor City - Normandie Recreation Center, 22400 South Normandie Avenue (corner parking lot 225th Street and Halldale Avenue)
- Hollywood - Fire Station 27, 1327 North Cole Avenue
- Hollywood and Hollywood Hills (northeast) - Fire Station 82, 5769 W Hollywood Blvd
- Hollywood and Hollywood Hills (northwest) - Fire Station 41, 1439 North Gardner Avenue
- Koreatown / Pico-Union - Fire Station 13, 2401 West Pico Boulevard
- Laurel Canyon / Mulholland - Fire Station 97, 8021 Mulholland Drive
- Northridge - Fire Station 70, 9861 Reseda Boulevard
- Pacific Palisades - Fire Station 23, 17281 Sunset Boulevard
- Palms - Fire Station 43, 3690 Motor Avenue
- Porter Ranch - Fire Station 28, 11641 Corbin Avenue
- San Pedro - Peck Park, 560 North Western Avenue (east of the Recreation Center)
- Sherman Oaks - Fire Station 88, 5101 North Sepulveda Boulevard
- South Los Angeles - Fire Station 21, 1192 East 51st Street
- South Los Angeles - Fire Station 64, 10811 South Main Street
- Studio City / Valley Village Fire Station 78, 4041 Whitsett Avenue
- Sunland / Tujunga - Council District 7 Office, 7747 Foothill Boulevard (at the rear) Bags next door at Fire Station 74
- Sun Valley - Fire Station 77, 9224 Sunland Boulevard
- Sylmar - Sylmar Recreation Center, adjacent to Fire Station 91, 14430 Polk Street
- Toluca Lake - Fire Station 86, 4305 Vineland Avenue
- Westchester / LAX Area - Fire Station 5, 8900 South Emerson Avenue
- West Hills - Fire Station 106, 23004 Roscoe Boulevard
- Wilmington - Banning Park, 1331 Eubank Street (in the parking lot near PCH)