Chiefs Regulation 4
Testing of Fire Protection Equipment
The Los Angeles Fire Department is pleased to offer guidance for your testing of Fire Protection Equipment in accordance with Chief's Regulation Number 4.
- List of Currently Certified Chief's Regulation 4 Testers
- Automatic Closing Fire Assemblies Testers
- Automatic Elevator (Phase I & II) Testers
- Automatic Sprinkler Testers
- Basic Fire Life Safety Systems Only Testers
- Central Station Testers
- Class I Standpipe Testers
- Class II Standpipe Testers
- Class III Standpipe Testers
- Combined Standpipe Testers
- Elevator Witness Only Testers
- Emergency Generator and Battery Systems Testers
- Fire Escape Assemblies Testers
- Fire Pumps Testers
- Gas Detection Tests
- Mechanical Smoke Proof Enclosures Testers
- Pressurized Stairshaft Testers
- Smoke Evacuation Testers
- Highrise Life/Safety Consultant List
- Healthcare Facility Instructor Consultant List
- Study Materials
What We Will Need You To Do!
It is important that you first identify:
- Which Fire Protection Systems are in your building.
- The date that each system was last tested.
- The testing frequency required for such systems, are outlined below.
Basic Fire Warning Systems - 1 year
Complex Fire Warning Systems - 1 year
Central Station Signaling Systems - 1 year
Smoke Management Systems - 1 year
Elevators, Automatic - 1 year
Emergency Generator and Lighting Systems
All Occupancies - 1 year
Fire Doors: All Types/All Occupancies - 1 year
Fire Escapes - 1 year
Class I Standpipe Systems - 5 years
Class II Standpipe Systems - 5 years
Class III Standpipe Systems - 5 years
Combined Standpipe Systems - 5 years
Class H Standpipe Systems:
For Systems with a Booster Pump - 2 years
For all other Systems - 5 years
Fire Pumps - 1 year
Automatic Fire Sprinkler Systems - 5 years
Note: Pre-action, Deluge and Dry Pipe Systems are tested annually.
- Pressure Reducing Valves (PRV's)
- Partial Flow - 1 year
- Full Flow - 5 years
- Automatic Fire Extinguishing Systems - Every 6 months
What Is The Process?
If a Chief's Regulation No. 4 test is required, please contact a certified tester to schedule and perform your test.
- A list of currently certified testers is available from the Chief's Regulation No. 4 Unit.
- An LAFD Fire Inspector (or your Neighborhood Fire Station) must be given 2 working days notice prior to conducting the test. (Monday through Friday, not including Holidays).
- The certified tester must provide two copies of the test results on Fire Department approved forms, with all defects clearly noted. Within 7 days, copies of the report must be forwarded through the Chief's Regulation No. 4 Unit.
- Repair and Retest: If defects are found in equipment that is being tested, correction on such defects shall commence forthwith and shall be completed as soon as possible, but in every case within 30 days of the initial test. At the completion of such repair, the system or device shall be retested as necessary to determine that it is fully operable.
- Defects in a building's fire life safety systems may be found during the routine annual fire inspection. At such annual inspection, a notice to conduct a Regulation No. 4 test will be given to building management.
WHO DO YOU NEED TO CONTACT?
- LAFD Bureau of Fire Prevention & Public Safety, Chief's Regulation No. 4 Unit
- Your Neighborhood Fire Station Fire Station NON-Emergency Business Phone Numbers
- The following list of Fire Prevention Bureau (FPB) email addresses can be used for:
- Submitting the required two working day notification for Reg. 4 testing
- Contacting a Unit about an issue with an FPB occupancy
- Emailing Reg. 4 reports (contact Chief’s Reg. 4 for parameters)
- General correspondence with a specific Unit
Brush Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org
Central Industrial Unit: email@example.com
Chief’s Reg. 4 Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org
Environmental Unit: email@example.com
Film Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org
Harbor Industrial Unit: email@example.com
High Rise Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hydrants and Access Unit: email@example.com
Legal Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Assemblage Unit: email@example.com
Schools/Churches/Institutions Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org
Valley Industrial Unit: email@example.com
Valley Public Safety Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org
West Industrial Unit: email@example.com
For Additional Information Contact:
Los Angeles Fire Department
Bureau of Fire Prevention & Public Safety Chief's Regulation No. 4 Unit
200 North Main Street, Room 1700
Los Angeles, CA 90012 USA
Phone: (213) 978-3596